I own a condo in Toronto. Does my tenant have the sole right…

Customer Question
I own a condo...

I own a condo in Toronto. Does my tenant have the sole right to choose whether to stay on month-to-month basis or leave? May I make an agreement for one year only?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Toronto, Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically, this is my only question now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/26/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

In Ontario when a fixed term lease ends the lease then becomes a month-to-month tenancy and so you cannot evict them without grounds. You cannot compel them to sign a new lease.

If they want to leave they have to give 60 clear days notice and can leave at the end of the lease if they do or anytime after that with the 60 days notice.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Do I understand correctly: only the tenant decides whether to stay or leave at the end of the term, I - as a landlord - have no control at all

That is correct unless there are grounds for eviction.

Debra, Lawyer