How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101393
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to retire in Canada in two years at which point I

This answer was rated:

I wish to retire in Canada in two years at which point I will be 69-70. My friends in Canada tell me that this is not possible, I will only be able to obtain a visitor's visa which will only allow me to be in Canada for six months of the year, and that six months includes all one or two day visits to Canada during the year. Is this true?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I am a US citizen and no, I have no pending applications. I am just beginning to explore the process.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Do you have any children who are permanent residents in Canada or Canadian citizens?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No, no relatives in Canada, just friends.

Are you willing to work in Canada for a while? Are you a skilled worker?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No, at the age of 70 I will just want to be retired

Unfortunately there seems to be no grounds for your immigrating to Canada.

That means that you do have any grounds for applying to be a permanent resident.

It is the same as moving to the US. We can visit but we cannot move there unless we get a green card. Our permanent residency status is your green card.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you