I want to know if i can forward a complaint or you can

Customer Question
Good afternoon, I want...

Good afternoon, I want to know if i can forward a complaint or you can assist me with my plan to sue someone for defaming my daughter. My daughter was accused of flirting with the husband of the accuser. Actually the accuser is my sister and accused my daughter, her own niece that my daughter is flirting with my sister's husband. My sister posted something on facebook that someone is flirting with her husband. Another post that I observed she indirectly telling my daughter to "Find her own man" Though my sister did not mention my daughter's name and we all remained clueless who she was pertaining to, I asked her who that person is, when she refused to tell me and posted a threat on facebook on the day of family get together, I then realized that maybe someone from the family. She then decided to talk to me and asked me to go to a place where we can talk alone. She then said that she was pertaining to her niece. She wished that she could face and talk to my daughter, at that time I want my daughter to be able to defend herself and for my daughter to know how crazy her aunt is. After a week my daughter seems to be depressed and not her usual self. She could not believe that her aunt has a malicious mind and to think of her the way my sister did. My sister mentioned that she spoke to her husband, son and a friend about how she thinks of my daughter. I am not sure if she stopped posting on facebook after I told her that if she doesn't stop I will sue her for defamation. Kindly let me know if I have a case, I just want her to stop and apologize to my daughter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?

Ontario, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, nothing yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can tell everything that she said to my daughter. My sister blocked all mutual friends in facebook. Again not sure if she stopped saying things about my daughter.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did she tell actual lies about your daughter to others?

Whatever she is claiming against my daughter is a lie. She posted something of facebook and her friends who saw and read the posting responded to her and they were just being nasty, though my sister did not mention my daughter's name. My sister then told me that she spoke to a friend of hers about my daughter and mentioned my daughter's name as well as to her husband and son (my nephew). I know who the friend she spoke to.

Then this is defamation.

You or a lawyer acting for you can send her a letter demanding that she cease and desist from making these comments, that she provide your daughter with a written retraction and apology and threaten a lawsuit.

If that doesn't work your daughter ( I am assuming she is an adult and not a minor) can sue her for damages to her reputation.

But the letter is vital as it is not possible to sue for defamation before sending this letter.

Does that help as a starting point?

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?