How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about custody. Whoops, ... I'm in Canada.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a question about custody.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Whoops, this is USA... I'm in Canada. Hmmm (thanks google) :0 I'll try and find a canadian equivelant
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes one. But they said finding one in your resident province is the first thing to do I'm just looking for answers while I wait for some calls back
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is regarding the technicalities of abduction
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I am a family lawyer in Canada.Would you like to continue with me? If you do please provide me with the basic facts and then your specific question.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife and I and our children reside in North Vancouver, BC. My wife and children left on a vacation to visit family and attended a wedding in Alberta. I left soon after on a work trip to China. We agreed they would return to start the school year.
When I returned from my trip, I found my wife had enrolled our children in a school in Alberta, lied about where she was staying, and refused to talk to me. She also limiting my access to the children and even called the police when I initially came to pick everyone up to go home. We have no history of any violence or abuse.
I've spoken to a couple Alberta lawyers, but my specific question is this.
Am I legally allowed to take our children back to their province of residence without undue legal recourse?
They start their new school in a few days and I don't want to allow an establishment of 'normal pattern' for them to be in Alberta.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Why have you with one of these lawyers not brought an application to the court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This just happened 2 days ago and I have no intentions of separating, or seeking legal action.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
But is your spouse not saying you are separated?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.