I have a estate matter question. I am in Canada, guess this…

Customer Question
I have a estate...

I have a estate matter question

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I am in Canada, guess this won't work?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I just have a question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can they answer an estate law question specifically for Alberta law?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer
I am a lawyer in Canada and happy to help.Please provide me with the basic facts and then your specific question.Thank you
My father in law died intestate. He left an RSP to my husband as 100% beneficiary. We provided the bank with the death certificate and my husband signed a letter of direction. They said everything was good and the chequered would be processed. Then they changed and said that the rsp was actually a lira and that it had to be released to the spouse not the beneficiary? Is this correct?
We are in Alberta where we understand this law may be different than in other provinces.

I am in Ontario and I did some research but this is very complex and deals with pension partners and I am not confident of the answer so I am going to opt out.

Ok thanks.