I am a full-time perm non-exempt employee. I have 24.5 hours…

Customer Question
I am a full-time...

I am a full-time perm non-exempt employee. I have 24.5 hours of overtime payment that my employer has refused to pay me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am actually in Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Non-union. i am salaried for 41 hours per week my salary is 45k

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have brought it to the attention of my employer after i had to work 50 hours one week and was wondering why i wasn't paid for my time. he said i wouldn't get paid because i am salaried and i pointed out that i am not managerial and i am entitled to overtime after 44 hours. he then said that there were 200+ people who wanted my job and i should just be happy with what i have.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

The employer is not correct and you have a legal entitlement to overtime. The fact that you are salaried has no relevance.

So you can enforce the overtime payment through the Employment Standards Branch who will get you your overtime for free but the cannot go back that far so you should contact them on Monday to further discuss.

Here is a link to their contact information:

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/feedback/index.php

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?