How can a notary lawyer in Qubec hold funds before release?

Customer Question
How long can a...

How long can a notary lawyer in Qubec hold funds before release?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Florida but the issue is in Quebec

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The notary/lawyer received an estate settlement check in July. He deposited it in his estate funds saying he would transfer it to our account after the check cleared.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I sent the notary/lawyer an email asking the status of the check and the money was deposited in three hours. This was eight weeks after he cashed the check to himself.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What reason is he giving you for the delay?

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!