I got married last year December 2016 in Jamaica my wife…

Customer Question
I got married last...

I got married last year December 2016 in Jamaica my wife reside in the UK and I'm in Canada with hopes of being together now things aren't working out and it has come to diviorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

What steps do I take

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I don't have a lawyer at the moment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That pretty much it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What is your specific question please?

I how I go about getting a diviorce
What's the process

When do you say you separated?

What province are you in?

I got married in Jamaica and live in Canada. We got married December and I returned back to Canada two weeks later and she returned home to England. We have been separated since we returned home

I still need your province.

Ontario etobicoke

What you do is fill out the forms that are required. Attend at the courthouse and have the divorce application issued by the court. Then you have your spouse served (I know she is not in Canada but she must be served) and then you file the forms with proof of service at the courthouse.

I assume she will ignore the forms and you will be able to note her in default after the required time has passed. You will get the divorce judgment signed without seeing a judge.

Here is a link to the forms:

http://ontariocourtforms.on.ca/en/family-law-rules-forms/

You need to use a Form 8A: Application and a Form 36: Affidavit for Divorce.

And you will also need:

The original marriage certificate

Registration of Divorce Proceedings

Affidavit of Service

You don't need to do financial statements if you are just seeking a divorce and nothing more.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?