How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a bit of a bind and am vaguely familiar with the

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am in a bit of a bind and am vaguely familiar with the legal process however there is several factors that make this difficult. Can you help?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I....uh oh, this is Ontario United States?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Sorry saw your header for NY. Am I in the proper chat room
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes there is.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am a lawyer in Ontario. Is this about the law in Ontario or the US?

What are the basic facts and what is your specific question please?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have been served with court documents for North Bay Family Court for Oct 5 2017 dealing with child support adjustment related to the relocation of one of 2 dependents to my residence in the Durham Oshawa area. The dependent has been in my residence since June 27 2015 throughout this time I have tried to communiciate the amendment to the seperation agreement to reflect the current living arrangements which my ex has refused to sign. The child support was adjusted by her unilaterally to one half of the amount paid. I re adjusted it to the proper amount using the Family Law Act, Ontario Regulations 391/97 Child Support Guidlines section 8 for the offset amount. There was no dispute for 2 years. Last week I recieved all post dated child support cheques returned via mail and the court date. I have asked her counsel and herself for direction for child support for if she goes to the FRO to knowingly uphold the outdated order I will loose my house and my family here consisting of 3 dependents will be homeless. I need to serve the FRO a cease and desist order from the court to stop garnishments till the agreement is updated. I have filled out the 14A But am unclear as how to fill out the 14B properly and how to serve the documents and if I can serve the documents here in Durham region or do i have to travel to the North Bay courthouse to do so even though the dependent in contention is in my residence.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Sorry Debra, I had computer issues. Your response is much appreciated.

I am sorry to hear this.

The court is not going to issue a cease and desist order but they could make an interim order stating that any previous order is stayed and is unenforceable until the matter is resolved.

The parties have to be served personally if they do not have a lawyer and then the documents are filed in the court with proof of service. They are filed in the North Bay Court as that is where the application has been started.

You should call and make an appointment at the closest Family Law Information Centre and a staff member there ( a lawyer paid by legal aid) can help with the forms.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am also filing a motion to have the court proceedings transferred to the Durham region. Should I file that motion first? Then I can file the motion for the FRO here?

Yes that would make sense.

If you succeed then the next motion and all motions would be in Durham.

Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you