My Husband and I have been separated for about 5 months now…

Customer Question
My Husband and I...

My Husband and I have been separated for about 5 months now and we are wanting to move forward with actually filing for separation. Problem is my financial situation is not great and he seems to think that because i'm the one leaving I should be the one paying for it. I'm just curious if there is a cheaper way to go through with the process as any lawyer I have talked to has quoted me $5000 plus.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Alberta Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i haven't just called around to see what the cost is. I don't have money like that just laying around but I need to get the separation on the go so that my ex will move on and leave me alone. I was going to call legal aid to see what they could tell me but i can't find a contact number for them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that's all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

There is no such thing as filing for a separation. Are you asking about working out a separation agreement or about applying for a divorce?

Are you in agreement about all the issues?