Born, became a Canadian citizen at age 12 via my mother

Customer Question
I am German born...

I am German born, became a Canadian citizen at age 12 via my mother becoming a citizen and was not aware that I has a choice of dual citizenship at age 21. I am now 73 and would like to explore the possibility of having dual citizenship.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No, just started looking now and wanted to know if it is even possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you asking about the law in Canada or Germany?

I don't know, who controls the outcome? Would this not be a matter where both countries agree? As I said, I am a German born Canadian Citizen living in Canada, procured my citizenship through my mother as a minor in 1956 and was not aware that there was an option to maintain both. I believe Germany allows dual citizenship as does Canada but what are the regulations and timing issues.
Furthermore, my husband is also German born and obtained Canadian Citizen status at age 21 but his parents remained German Citizens as they were concerned about possibly losing the Pensions... they were over 50 when they immigrated. May mean nothing but that pretty much sums up our situation.
At this time it is only a preliminary question but if it turns out that a good possibility exits for dual citizenship, then I agree, it would be easier to conduct business over the phone.

If your mother obtained Canadian citizenship for you in 1956 then you are a citizen. Nothing causes you to lose that unless you take formal steps through CIC to renounce your citizenship.

If Germany did not take your citizenship away from you when you because a citizen then you have dual citizenship.

If you lost it then you would have to speak to a lawyer in Germany about that.

But without a doubt you are a Canadian citizen. If Germany says you still have German citizen then you have dual citizenship. There is nothing at all to do. If not then you have to regain your German citizenship.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Does that fully answer your question?

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?