My friend gave me a cheque to cash through my atm. Ithe had…

Customer Question
My friend gave me...

My friend gave me a cheque to cash through my atm. Ithe had me fill out the cheque to myself because he said he didn't have an a point anywhere. The cheque came back as nsf but I withdrew the money and gave it to him. Can I be charged with fraud.came

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know. The bank hasn't contacted me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What should I do on my end

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/16/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying he gave you a cheque payable to you. Then it came back NSF?

What is an a point anywhere mean?

Have you paid the bank back?

No. They froze my account and haven't talked to me yet
He made it payable to me and I cashed it through the atm. It gave me the money right away even tho I didn't have the money in the account to cover it. Then it came back nsf and the bank sent it up the chin I'm guessing
Not point. Meant to say he didn't have an account at a bank anywhere

I suggest you do what you need to do to get the money to pay the bank back.

And you should go in and say you realize you owe the money but you did not understand it was NSF or you would not have done this.

And you had better get your "friend" to pay back.

If the bank believe you knew the cheque was going to bounce then they will report this to the police and you will be charged. If they believe you did not and you pay them back you should be OK.

How could he be able to write a cheque if he doesn't have a bank account?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

He said it was from this lady and was all good. I believed him and deposited it. I didn't realize it wasn't any good. Should I go to the police as well. What if he stole the blank check?
Are you there?

I am sorry for the delay.

You can go to the police because it sounds like that is the only way to protect yourself and to get the money back from this guy who is really no friend of course.

Can the bank charge me with fraud? Even though I didn't know it was?

If they don't believe you they will call the police and the police will investigate and if they don't believe you then they will charge you but if you make it clear you had no idea it would come back NSF then it may be OK but you are going to have to pay the bank back.