Me and my partner are in the early stages of separating. He…

Customer Question
Hi, me and my...

Hi, me and my partner are in the early stages of separating. He won't leave our house until he is ready to. He is extremely controlling and emotionally abusive to me. We have three children so I can't just up and leave my self. What can I do. I ultimately would like him to just leave and leave me alone?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have a house together and a business at the moment. And he is threatening me that I'm not entitled to either. So I would like to know what my options are.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/15/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately you both have an equal right to occupy the home so you cannot have him leave anymore than he can have you leave.

But you will share equally in the value of all assets acquired during the marriage (aside from gifts and inheritances) and will also share equally in the increase in value of any assets brought into the marriage. You will share equally in the value of the home no matter when it was acquired so his threats are nonsense.

Your best next step is to retain a lawyer and have the lawyer send him a letter stating the issues need to be resolved or you will proceed to court as this cannot continue.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?