I’m getting a bit frustrated at work so I’m hoping for some…

Customer Question
I’m getting a bit...

I’m getting a bit frustrated at work so I’m hoping for some advice
I filed a formal respect in the workplace complaint (Ontario) in July and there was an investigation.
The investigator submitted her report to my employer on September 5th.
I have yet to hear the results so I’ve requested that their written report be sent to me as soon as possible.
I have been told I will be given a written report on Monday (18th) and that they want to meet with me in person at the time, without being given any time to review the report in advance.
I am very anxious about the results of the report (it may result in my having to leave the company if the person who harassed me will not be leaving) and told them that I wouldn’t meet with them until I have seen the results and have time to prepare for the meeting
They are demanding that I attend the meeting (in a restaurant no less)
Am I obligated to attend at that time? Can I bring somebody with me for support (concerned about privacy issues)?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry - I'm in Canada - Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

No union full time job - no contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/14/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

You can tell them that you are not comfortable meeting at a restaurant and that this is a very serious issue for you with potentially dire consequences and that you will not be relegated to meeting in a restaurant but want a full and proper meeting in appropriate circumstances after reviewing the report.

And you can say that you will also be bringing representation with you to the meeting so you need the report and a set time and appropriate location.

And you can say that if they are going to dismiss you for this reason they should be prepared for a wrongful dismissal claim.

And bring a lawyer with you. You don't have a right to just bring anyone but they cannot consider stating you lawyer cannot attend with you.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?