Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am putting up a fence in my backyard and i am having a

Customer Question

i am putting up a fence in my backyard and i am having a problem with my neighbor, weeks ago i approached him and informed him i was going to put up a new fence and he said i could do anything i wanted as long as it was on the property line, there was a old chain link fence which was bent over at the top from trees that were leaning against it (about 6 inches over the property line ) there was also lots of tree branches which i had to trim in order to put up the new fence , the fence was unsafe and had to come down . the neighbor is now complaing that i took down the old fence .
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: toronto ontario
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no , i spoke to him and assured him that the fence would not be on his property and that i would pay for it.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: he wants me to put something in writing as to that effect and i just want to know what my rights are.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

The question was initially placed on the US law list.

It has just appeared on the Canada law list and I am happy to help.

When you took down the old fence, was it on the property line?

And did he think you were going to put a new fence on the property line but leave that one? How could he have thought that?

And are you saying that you are not deciding to put your fence on your own property and not bother dealing with him?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!