How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101440
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have already tried putting my problem out there and the

Customer Question

I have already tried putting my problem out there and the person on the other end said they were getting an immigration lawyer! What the heck! I am asking a question about my niece taking custody of her boyfriends children as he is dying of cancer! Can I get this issue addressed?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Is there a mother at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The mother has forfeited all rights to the children who are now 13 and 12. The mother lives on the streets and is a drug addict. Has never seen either of the children since the second one was born. She is forbidden to contact.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.


So what the father has to do is put a provision in his Will stating he wants your niece to have guardianship of the children and that will help a lot.

But this provision is not binding.

A better approach if there is time is for her to adopt the children now. That way there is no issue of anyone else trying to seek custody. If they do the Will will be excellent evidence to show what the father thought was best for the kids but it is not a guarantee. The adoption is the safest approach.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?