Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I was acquitted of assault charges over 17 years ago.

Customer Question

I was acquitted of sexual assault charges over 17 years ago. Recently a third party is accusing me of being a pedophile. Is this illegal or defamatory?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nova Scotia Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do you stop and punish someone who has defamed you?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. This is sensitive because of the "pedophile" label. but slander and libel civil law is fairly well settled.

Can you tell me more about what's going on? Don't use details that can identify anyone please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would prefer not to offer any more details. In order to ensure my constitutional rights and to guarantee the integrity of any investigation against third party individuals that are culpable, I will defer this matter to hired legal counsel.

That's always the best choice. I'm just trying to keep the discussion "hypothetical". I don't want to know specific details that can identify you, but if you can tell me in more general terms what happened I'm happy to tell you what I think.

I don't want to pester you, but you might be taking this matter "too seriously". It has little to do with your "constitutional rights", which guarantees you rights as against the government, not against other individuals for slander or libel. That's simply a subset of civll law for damages. This is something that you should come at strongly and want to settle. After all, a trial will simply draw more attention to the old charges, right?

I'd rather see you talk to me than spend thousands on a lawyer only to be told that this case isn't as grandiose or worth what you believe it should be.