Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My son -28 retutned to UBC and rented a room in a house,

Customer Question

Hi. my son -28 retutned to UBC and rented a room in a house, Apparently he is a lodger not a tenant. Now the landlady -who keeps a room but doesn't live there full time, says she wants him to leave...some problems with last "older" tenant" He needs 4 motns as he is on engineering co-op problem and this has thrown him for a stressful loop. Can she do this
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oh this is BC canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no - the landlady just spoke with him last night - he pleaded his case and she may think about it. BTW -he is a quiet serious type student
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need to know if she can do this - only verbal agreement and he did give a security deposit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

So essentially you are saying this woman is trying to say this is a shared accommodation when it is not?

He does not share a bathroom or kitchen with her at all, in fact, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It it a house. There are 3 other UBC students upstairs maybe 2 down. They share kitchen area. She has her room but stays elsewhere at this time
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Has she ever lived there while he has been there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just so I am clear,,my $5.00 covers a response to this question...I keep getting pop-ups to spend morehe has been there since sept 5 and no she has not stayed there
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

No the $5 is just a deposit. There is another higher charge for the question. I won't answer now then. I will wait for you to confirm with the site what the cost is and that you are OK with it.

I don't know what the cost is myself as I don't work for the site.

Thanks