I am renting an apartment and my landlord increased my rent…

Customer Question
I am renting an...

I am renting an apartment and my landlord increased my rent $100 2 months after i moved in it has been 18 months since my my increace in rent and i just found out that there are LTB guidelines that my landlord must follow. Could you please tell me how to proceed with this matter?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I live in Oshawa Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in the top part of a house

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wanted to know how to proceed with this manner. We have also have bed bugs in this house and my landlord wants me to pay for 1/2 the cost. We had bed bugs last fall and he made me pay for 1/2 of the cost. I just found out as well that it is the landlord's responsibility to pay for that as well. I calculated that with the increase in the rent and the payment for the bed bug extermination he owes me $2200.00. Could you please help me with this situation.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/13/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Do you share a bathroom or kitchen with your landlord?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!