I own 1/6 of property and one of the other owners has died

Customer Question
and did not have a...
I own 1/6 of property and one of the other owners has died and did not have a will. What is the obligations the living owners have in regards ***** ***** undivided 1/6 interest.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Ontario, Canada
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/13/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you all on title as joint tenants or tenants-in-common?

There is nothing stated on Transfer/Deed of Land or Document General. It is a family cottage and we are all on the Transfer/Deed of Land as transferee(s) and identifed only as 'each as to an undivided 1/6th interest'.

Did you get this through an inheritance and if so was there a Will?

but I need to set a specific time to do so. Can we do at 5 PM EST

I am in Ontario.

Are you saying yes to a phone call or yes that the property was inherited in a Will?

to a phone call but would need to schedule time. Will 5 pm work.

That doesn't work over this site.

But if you want a call what you can do is wait until you are ready for the call and then click the button.

I will click 'call me' at 5 pm to connect with you. For additional background originally the 6 of us (siblings) inherited the properties via inheritance from our father. He did not have a will but inherited as part of probating his assets in 1990. One of my brothers recently has died, again without a will. He was married and has two children.

OK

I will look forward to hearing from you later on.

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor