Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My question is regarding support payments for child care. We

Customer Question

Hello! My question is regarding support payments for child care. We do not have any legal agreement in place, and have been apart for several years. My son's mother has him primarily, full time, though I see him on weekends. His mom works a job with correctional services requiring her to leave the house as early as 5am, and returning as late as 6pm. She claims she does not qualify for any government subsidy since she can't find anyone to work that early/late. She insists I am responsible for 50% of the cost of daycare. She insists it is that particular job that pays the bills and debt on her end. She lives in a small town with limited opportunity, co-owns property there (claiming she can't just "move away"). The way I see it, it is her "choice" to have this job, and live in that location, rather than pull the child away from his surroundings, etc.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I am in BC Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't spoke to anyone other than a credit counsellor (I'm going bankrupt over the excessive payments) who thinks she should apply for the subsidy rather than use me to satisfy that need.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm just going into an appointment for 30 mins, the. I'm back for an hour (I'm at work).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you incomes equal and if not what are each of your gross annual incomes?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!