How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse has permanent,irreversible brain damage from liver

Customer Question

my spouse has permanent,irreversible brain damage from liver failure. He had no power of attorney in place. What steps do I need to take?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: No paper work has been filed and if I understand correctly his state has left him unable to even know where he is, which is currently the Ottawa General Hospital
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult and sad situation.

Are you saying he is not mentally competent to make decisions about his care and finances?

And if not do you need to be able to make both of these types of decisions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is quite incapable
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

The site has asked me to let you know your payment for the call has failed.

Please contact customer service so that this can be worked out.

It likely means you have to either try another credit card or call you credit card company. That is what other customers have told me.

I will be here all evening so don't worry about me disappearing. I will not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Things must be in worse shape that I thought. I will have to do some banking before continuing. Sorry to take up your time
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

I don't think that is correct. I think the credit card company simply needs to be called. This happens regularly.