How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a lesbian and I can't get my partner to Canada so can

Customer Question

I am a lesbian and I can't get my partner to Canada so can we get a Canadian marriage in Cuba
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I reside in Ontario and we habe a home in Cardenas Cuba
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.Are you asking if Canada will recognize a marriage in Cuba or whether the law of Canada can be applied in Cuba?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm asking if I can get a Canadian marriage on Cuban soil , like a legal Canadian marriage witnessed in the Canadian Embassy In Havana because Cuba does not recognize gay marriage and I have tried to get my partner to Canada twice with no success. I want to get married with Canada marriage law , on Cuban soil, so we can live in Cuba and Canada.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm a sailor on a ship and I don't have phone service now
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

That is not possible.

But what you can do is sponsor your partner as your conjugal partner. That clearly applies to your situation. It is for cases where you cannot live together or cannot get legally married. And for you that is exactly the situation.

This means you can sponsor your partner just as if your partner was your spouse.

Then after your partner is granted permanent residency status and comes to Canada you can get married.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well than I need the name and the cost of a layer that can get this done.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free. You can make the request for the name online here:

The cost will be a couple of thousand dollars and while it is better to get a lawyer if you cannot afford one you can do the application yourself.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?