How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101462
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother and the woman who he is in a common law

This answer was rated:

My brother and the woman who he is in a common law relationship
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: in Canada - province of Ontario are splitting up. They were not living together full time because his job is 4 hours away in another town. She has not been sending him his mail . She has been holding back bank
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: statement and giving them to her lawyers This
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Lawyer is not available right now. She appears to have been holding back credit statement , and bills which she stopped paying. Is there an invasion of privacy here.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I forgot to add this part. All his bank accounts & credit cards are in his name only not in her's

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you saying they have separated and she has been retaining his mail?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She sent him the statements she held back with a letter from her lawyer just recently
Yes She also held back other a few credit card bills statement and bank statements within a 2 year period before the separation.and he did not realize it till now. They broke up up in July and since then she has been holding back some statement until he got his mail redirected and has not always sent bills that needed to be paid. She was paying some of the bills and now she stopped since July example hydro and insurance. My brother has been following up and trying to get them paid. (Just an aside He owns the house and is paying the mortgage himself for the last more than 2 years)

It's not illegal in that the police will not charge her. It's not the same as opening mail that isn't addressed to your home or stealing mail. The police will say it is a civil matter.

But it's not acceptable and will make her look bad in court. As well, if he suffers damage to his credit rating or has to pay interest she is going to be liable to him for damages and he should tell her that.

And given it is his house and they are not legally married he can and likely should tell her to get out. It's not a matrimonial home when there are common law spouses.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not right now . His lawyer is back from holidays . Your answer was helpful