I HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THIS HOUSE FOR 6 YEARS, BC CANADA DO…

Customer Question
I HAVE BEEN LIVING...

I HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THIS HOUSE FOR 6 YEARS

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

BC CANADA DO YOU DO THIS HERE

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only one hand written letter from owner stating I have all rights to do with it as I choose

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The owner is now let all insurance go, and repairs

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that it sounds like you are in a difficult situation.

Please explain the basic facts more clearly and then set out your specific question.

Thanks

I have been here for six years never met the owner, never have gotten a single receipt . I have been sending her 600 a month .Now she wants me to have the place. I am not family so she cannot gift it to me in BC. Can I get it put in my name with a power of attorney

That is good news for you I assume.

She has to sign a transfer of title document. She will need to see a lawyer for this and then you will have to have your own lawyer do a title search and then register the transfer on title.

The title search is vital of course and before you pay any fees including legal fees you should be sure the title is clear.

She can transfer title to you when she wants. It's her right. There is no obligation for you to pay.

There will be land transfer tax fees.

Does that help clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?