Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Pension question. I would like to commute my old pension

Customer Question

Pension question. I would like to commute my old pension into a LIRA. I left the pipefitters union and came back two years later. They gave me an option to transfer my pension into a LIRA but they are saying that since I didn't respond (I moved to Honduras for two years and apparently email doesn't exist.) and that i came back to work my pension was reactivated. However, in the pension booklet it says that if I was no longer a member of the union but returned to work, i would be treated as a new plan member with a new period of active membership. I should be able to transfer everything from the first period of active membership.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is a Canadian website
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Union. This the United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters http://www.epibenefitplans.com/assets/files/pdf/EPI%20PENSION%20BOOKLET%202016%20-%20FINAL.pdf its on page 39 of the pdf or page 36 of the booklet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No i think thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

During the two years away were you still a member of the union or not?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 month ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!