How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3561
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need legal assistance making a written submission to my

Customer Question

I need legal assistance making a written submission to my professional college explaining two charges of assault and one of mischief in a domestic violence incident. I am physician.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The College Registration committee is meeting to decide on my license.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My wife wants these criminal charges to go away and is not willing to testify for the crown. I am denying these charges and the matter is set for trial in March 2018 when I hope to be acquitted.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

You'll need a lawyer to help you with your submissions to the College. This is about your license, it's too important to leave it up to chance by doing it yourself or doing it on the cheap. You need a lawyer for it.

I find it hard to believe that the College will want to determine the issue of your license before the your criminal trial. By when do you need your written submission in to the College?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To clarify, I have previously made a submission to the College. I have a criminal lawyer who has made a separate submission from his end. Now the college has given me the option to make an additional submission. I have to make the submission by Sept 14. My wife is willing to make a submission to the college. I have 6 character references from colleagues. I have drafted an additional submission for the college but am concerned if I should retain legal counsel with experience in professional regulation to draft one for me? This is a temporary license till Dec 2017. So even if I hire a lawyer to obtain a license, it would be good for only 3 months. My trial in March 2018.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

I'm of the view that your license is too important, that if getting a lawyer to help you will increase your odds of keeping the license, even temporarily, it's worth it.

Let's not forget the court of public opinion, and the crown will know about the college result too. You don't want to lose your license, even temporarily, leading up to your trial.

So I'd very strongly recommend that you have the lawyer you used before, and get another set of submissions prepared. You have additional information, and a draft already. But you have a tight deadline, let's hope you can still get that help.

You certainly won't get an anonymous online lawyer to prepare something this important, regardless of for how cheaply. Plus, the College makes it's own rules and deadlines, a lawyer might well be able to negotiate an extension for you.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had self-reported the charges to the College. Unfortunately, it was the time (June) when the College was considering my application for renewal for 6 months. With the disclosure, they declined to renew the license and referred the matter to a committee in September. So without a license, I am unemployed living on unemployment benefits. The submission I made previously was to state the facts of the case. I didn't dwell on the circumstances which led to the alleged incident, the impact these charges has had on me and my family, the remorse that I have at this point and the rehabilitative measures I have undertaken since. Should I ask my Criminal lawyer to look at my draft submission or should I hire a lawyer with experience in professional regulation? I spoke to one today and they are pretty expensive!
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

I think it's very important, and the price shouldn't matter.

Having said that, certainly talk to your criminal lawyer. You don't want to make any admissions in your submission to the College which the Crown can subpoena and use against you. So absolutely get the criminal lawyer to look it over first and ask if there are any risks of the Crown getting it. If they can, they'll likely try.

Then you have to decide whether you want to get the professional regulation lawyer to polish it up. I think you should but it's your choice of course. If English isn't your first language (I don't know if it is) you should definitely get that additional help.

Anything else to discuss about this? I don't know what else I can contribute to this discussion, but I'm here if you want to reply. If I've assisted you I'd appreciate a positive service rating please, as ratings are how I get paid by the site for helping its customers.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

I don't know if you saw what I wrote last week. Did you? Have you made any decisions?