Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

If the victom of a domestic assault contacts me there is a

Customer Question

if the victom of a domestic assault contacts me there is a no contact order in place by sending a text message, which I do not respond to directly, nor indirectly, could I get in trouble for bringing this to the judges attention?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: BC, Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes I have not about this specific question
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. So there's a no contact order, you're the accused and you're not to contact the victim, but the victim has texted you?

What did the text say? Was it only one text?

Is the no contact order part of a recognizance or bail? Are the charges still being processed? If so, do you have a lawyer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bail. Yes charges against me are going forward I get particulars today.The context of the text message is that the victim can no longer stay with her friend, have no money and has nowhere else she can stay and she doesn't know what to do.I am wondering if I brought this to the judges attention, if they might be willing to consider alternate bail conditions that met the courts desire to keep the victim safe while also allowing her to come home in order to not be forced to join the homeless population.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
or would that piss the judge off due to my not going to proper route to setting up a hearing for the purpose of changing a bail condition?

Don't worry about pissing off the judge, you have a legitimate question.

What particulars did you get today?

I hope you didn't reply to the alleged victim. You're to have no contact with her, but she can have contact with you. You mustn't reply to her.

I've seen plenty of cases like this where the victim, who is/was in a relationship with the accused, tries to get the accused in trouble by reaching out and leaving messages or sending texts, then if the accused replies the authorities are called in to lay further charges for the breach of recognizance. I'm not saying that's happening here.

Do you have a lawyer of your own yet?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 21 days ago.

Any updates on your criminal law matter?