Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can a collection agency garnish wages, It is in the province

can a collection agency garnish wages
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: It is in the province of New Brunswick, Canada and it is on an unpaid credit card debt
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I think they have filed but I am not sure. I have not received anything in the mail, just threats.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not responded to this collection agency in at least 5 years and they have not stopped calling me.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you are in a difficult situation.

Did they sue you first?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that I know of but I think they are planning to. Can they do this and what are my options. Should I be afraid.

When did you go into default with the credit card company?

What I need to know is whether it was more than 6 years ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am pretty sure that it has been at least 6 years

Then no you don't have to be afraid. The limitation period for suing is now two years but back then it was 6 years.

If it is past 6 years they cannot sue you.

And they most assuredly cannot garnish your wages unless they sue you first.

I suggest ignoring them from now on.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank-you for your help. You have put my mind at ease.

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.