I found out today that CRA has grabbed two of my bank

accounts. I owed them 9000$...
I found out today that CRA has grabbed two of my bank accounts. I owed them 9000$ for 2015 taxes
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am from canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I had a payment arrangement with them. I have not filed my 2017 taxes yet as the accounting firm still has them from april.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a Canadian working in the US. There was no warning that this would happen. No letter(s) of any sort.
8/19/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying that you adhered to the payment arrangement but they still seized the money?

Do you mean you owe this from 2015 and then you didn't file your 2016 return?

And also, are you saying you hired an accounting firm and they had your information in April but for some reason still have not filed?

I am not sure if a payment was missed because I can't see the account. My Wife handles the banking and she's not sure either.Yes, it is from 2015.I just got into contact with the firm. They had a major re-structuring and were backlogged on US taxes (I have my US Md Canadian taxes with them).They did say they can/will get in contact with CRA and deal with this for me.What has me worried is the amount they are saying I owe is outrageously higher than what I am in arrears. I have no botices from the at all. I mean zero. No letters. My spouse and daughter bring in the mail while I am away in the US working. No letters from the CRA have been found. And I have not moved. Same house for 18 years.
I meant notices

So first, and I know this is not what you are asking, but if you are penalized because of late filing your accountants are liable. Unless you gave them the documents late and they said they would file late they have harmed you.

If may be that the CRA is saying you owe them taxes for 2016 and are just choosing the amount based on last years because you didn't file. I find that odd and it's very early on in the year so I would be very surprised if that is it.

It may be that you agreed to the payment plan and also to file on time and so they are saying you breached the agreement.

But it's also troubling that your spouse cannot see if the payments were taken out or not. That doesn't make sense if they are withdrawing monthly so please have her sit down and review the accounts fully and carefully if you cannot see the account for some reason.

Also many banks are open on Saturday so call your bank and find out when the last payment was if your spouse is not able to do so online.

But the facts are not adding up and it is hard to see why they would take enforcement so harshly now given this money is only owed from last year. I have never heard of that.

So it is good your accountants will call them but they need to call them on Monday as your money is not at risk of being seized and your accountants are very late for 2017 so I am not sure how reliable they are.

Does that help at least a bit?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thank you very much for your help. Like you, I believe things are not adding up. One thing is for sure. I did not have any outstanding debt with the CRA before last year and I am not a habitual late filer. I'm leaning toward missed payment but that still does not explain no letter(s).

It doesn't explain anything at all.

Could it be that they are after your spouse and not you?

Was the money taken from a joint account?

The accounts (there are actually two) that are frozen are both mine. Wierdly ourjoint account is untouched as is my Tfsa, RRSP, savings and my accounts at another bank...but I'll bet that dog is hunting.

If they take money out of a joint account they can just take half.

They cannot touch your RRSP.

The could take the rest.

This needs to be addressed by those accountants on an emergency basis.

My thoughts exactly. I am filling them in right now. I gave them the agent's contact number and am outlining the situation as best I can.Thank you so much for your help.

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

But also please come back to the site and let me know what happens.

Thanks and take good care.

Debra was excellent.Patient, attentive and able to provide me with direction.

Thanks but actually you have to click on the stars at the top of the page!

Thanks

Debra, Lawyer
Debra, Lawyer