mfbesq
mfbesq,
99092957

Basically I'm 17 and was working with a recruitment agency

Customer Question

Hello so basically I'm 17 and was working with a recruitment agency and was placed in a manufacturing company where I had to package multivitamin bottled while making sure they had expiry dates labeled. It was my first time doing this kind of Job. I was wondeing, if I accidentally packaged a bottle without an expiry date, and a consumer later buys it and eventually has damages as a result of a lack of expiration date, am I liable for that or is the agency vicariously liable? It was an honest mistake and did not intend to make such an error.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is actually in Toronto Canada...
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nope the idea just recently came to mind and was worried it may happen in the future
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to emphasise that I was employed by a recruitment agency at the time. I understand that there may be a gray area regarding vicarious liability and agencies.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  mfbesq replied 2 months ago.
The company would be liable. You would not be liable individually unless you committed an intentional tort or act. Since it was an accident you would free from liability. The company would be another issue potentially.