Me and my girlfriend of 7 years are splitting up I was just…

Customer Question
Hi me and my...

Hi me and my girlfriend of 7 years are splitting up I was just wondering how do I go about getting my name taken off the house and the camper because she is keeping them and I don't want my name on them

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the property purchased during the marriage? Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?

We are not married no my funds were used for the mortgage

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Has what been filed or reported?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just need to know how to remove my name from the mortgage and the loan for the camper

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

St.johns nl

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
8/6/2017
Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

You were together for seven years and you're walking away from these assets? Have you decided that this is fair for you both?

i have 2 houses one has only my name on it and the other has both our names. I am keeping the one with just my name and I want to release my rights to the other house. Also we have a camper with both our names and I want to release my rights on that too

OK, it's not that easy as "taking your name off:.

What you're doing is transferring its ownership from joint to her solely. Which means you need a real estate lawyer.

As well, if there's a mortgage that's between you and the bank. The bank might not extend her an equivalent mortgage without you on it too as added security. And without renegotiating the mortgage you can't transfer the property just to her.

So, firstly she needs to go to the bank or mortgage lender to see what are the penalties for breaking the mortgage if any, and if she can get an equivalent mortgage in her sole name given her income and assets. Then you two need to have your agreement in writing, and then transfer title.

Does that make sense? I'm here if you have question or comment. If I've answered you I'd appreciate a positive service rating please. Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 5 months ago

I don't know if you've seen what I wrote earlier this month. Anything further about this matrimonial/property issue you want to discuss with me? Any update to your situation?

Ulysses101
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer