Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My question is: our current home is jointly owned by me and

Customer Question

hi.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my question is: our current home is jointly owned by me and my husband. we are going thru a separation. and want to chane the ownership to my name.i paid the downpayment,and evry thing associated with the house.i am intending to pay off the balance of mortgage and own it completely.can i do this
JA: Is this a fixed-rate or adjustable-rate mortgage?
Customer: the mortgage is due for renewal later this year ,fixed 5 years term
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not much.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are in a difficult situation.

Is your spouse agreeable to this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do i need his agreement?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
for now just answer this pls.if needed will call
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
waiting for your response .
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Yes you need his agreement or else a court order.

His name is ***** ***** so there is no possibility of being able to transfer title into your name alone.

And if there are other assets they all have to be considered together to work out the division of the value of the assets.

Do you see what I mean. I would have elaborated further but your posts make me feel terribly rushed.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.