How are you would like to ask that how can i apply for a…

Customer Question
Hello how are you...

Hello how are you would like to ask that how can i apply for a Canadian asylum with my family my email address is***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you faced persecution in your home country due to race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group?

Actually am in a political opinion and next year our country will be facing elections that is Zimbabwe were i come from so want to know how would i go abo

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

No i havent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh yeah also right now am studying in china doing my mechanical degree but my family is in zimbabwe

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You can make a refugee claim at a Canadian border or airport, or from within Canada.

There are essentially two grounds for obtaining refugee status.

One way is you meet the definition of a Convention Refugee. The other is if is you are considered to be a person in need of protection.

To be a Convention refugee, you must have a well-founded fear of being persecuted in your home country because of your:

* Race,
* Religion,
* Nationality,
* Political opinion, or
* Membership in a particular social group. (This can be a group that you chose to join, such as a labour union, or that you belong to because of who you are, such as a family. If you fear persecution because of your gender or sexual orientation, your claim is based on membership in a particular social group.)

You must also be unable or unwilling to return to your country because of your fear and the conditions there.

To be a person in need of protection, you must be someone who, if you had to return to your home country, would more likely than not face:

* Torture,
* A risk to your life, or
* A risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

If you face a risk to your life, or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment, you must show all of the following:

* You are not able to get protection from the government in your country.
* The risk affects you personally and is not faced generally by other people in your country. For example, the risk is not the result of a famine or civil war.
* The risk is not the result of government laws, such as punishment for committing a crime, unless these laws violate international standards.
* The risk is not caused by the fact that you cannot get adequate medical care in your country unless this is because of persecution or discrimination.

If you are at an airport or border, you can start your claim by telling a immigration officer that you want to make a refugee claim.

If you are already in Canada, you can contact CIC to start your claim.

Here is a link to the government webpage that explains how this all works:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/index.asp

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?