I am running a silent auction at a small music festival

Customer Question
I am running a...

I am running a silent auction at a small music festival operated by a regisyered not-for-profit. In previous auctions certain bidders have unfairly (to both us and other bidders) stood at the front of the line presumably contemplating what to bid until the last 5 seconds and scribbled down a bid which others in line had no opportunity to surpass.

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Can we keep the closing time secret, say sometime between 8 and 8:30 and then just walk over at sometime and cover the table with a blanket and announce bidiing is over to discourage this practice. We are in Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, not sure what you mean. We have been under the impression no licence is required

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this.What legal information do you need specifically?Thank you
Do we need to announce a specific time when the bidding will end (which is what these people take advantage off by standing at the front of the line for the last 2 or 3 minutes) or can we say, the bidding will close some time between 8:00 and 8:30 but only organizers know the exact time?
Don't wish to call
Will you answer here if I don't call
Is anyone there? This starting to look like a scam I short report to BBB
Lawyer: Daniel Freudman, Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Are there any contracts or other documentation people say which set out the rules and regulations you will be imposing and they must agree to prior to entering their bid? Are there any signs that set out the rules? Or is it just a matter of them walking up and writing down their name?