I would like to know if there is any outside legal help

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to know if there is any outside legal help available to me. Our HR office at McGill University is unable to help me. The situation I am enduring has been going on for over 2 and a half years. There is some kind of rumour which has been going around for all this time but not one single person will tell me what it is. Every time someone new starts, he or she is always nice to me in the beginning and then, shortly after,becomes completely different, to the point of not even wanting to talk to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to an attorney or school administrator about this?

No, only to our Human Resources department. I was told by my union that their lawyer cannot help in this type of situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

The employment is full time and I have been working at McGill for over 11 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if a lawyer can actually do anything for me in a situation such as mine.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
8/4/2017
Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question. This is indeed an unusual situation.

We're anonymous here, so let's be 100% honest. Do you really have no idea what people are saying about you?

Perhaps you have a criminal record, or something nasty happened in family court earlier, or you had an affair with a co-worker who started talking about it later? I've heard it all, don't be shy.

No, definitely none of those.

So you've been there for 11 years, and then 2 1/2 years ago everything changed? And you have no idea why? None at all?

So I assume that this is happening with co-workers, who are fellow union members, correct?

Have you noticed anything different in how you're treated by management?

Co-workers are not all union members. We are a mix of unionized and non-unionized employees. Yes, I have noticed that some people in management are treating me differently. I am also convinced that whatever the rumour is that is circulating, it has been posted on Facebook and sent to many different people including the local businesses in my town. Often, when I go into a local store, people stare at me and sometimes snicker or have a weird smile on their faces. I would like to know if a law firm exists who does actual investigating into what could have been published on line. If not, then I don't have a case since I do not have any proof of what is being said or written about me.

I'm back, I'm sorry that I've been away. I got pulled away from my computer and then spent all yesterday in court.

You've done your own poking around on Facebook and looked for this information yourself?

Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Any update to your employment situation?