How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Fort McMurray Alberta canada and have a provincial

Customer Question

Hi I am from Fort McMurray Alberta canada and have a provincial court matter which I have a question on
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Alberta canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the matter was heard and order granted. However I would like to appeal the order
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes it is a child welfare matter. I was served papers on Juune 26th for a court date on June 27 th, I read the papers wrong and thought this order was processed so I began to work on the provisions immediately. However the court date was adjourned from the 27th to July 4th. I was not notified about the adjournment and when I did not appear the supervision order was granted and another order added due to my abstence. I would like to appeal this order as I was not notified about the adjournment or else I would have been there. What are the rules and would I have means to appeal the order as I was not notified about the adjournment by anyone?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. I know you don't like how there was an order made in your absence on July 4th, but an appeal may not be your best option. Especially since you're essentially already at 30 days past, and you most likely have better options.

So, the most recent order: Is it "temporary without prejudice", or "interim"? It would be very unusual for the order to have been a final order.

Do you not have a lawyer of your own yet? Are you getting one?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Did your matter get resolved? I'm still here if you want to talk about child protection issue.

If you don't need any assistance for now, please don't forget about your deposit to the site (if you made one).