Wondering about what i can due for black mold exposure where…

Customer Question
Wondering about what i...

Wondering about what i can due for black mold exposure where i live. Its a motel and the owner is well aware of it and he tries to cover it up, but i live here and im getting sick with no where else to go.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Im in BC Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, but im going to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
8/1/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

What have you done so far to get this rectified?

I havent made any moves yet, i thought it would be best to ask someone, like a lawyer, first hand to see what optipns i have or how i should go about it
I do have plenty of photos, as i work for the owner, he saw them on my phone and told me to get rid of them.
are you saying that you have to live there because your employment requires you to do so?
Well, yes and no. My rent is greatly reduced living there, but there really isnt anywhere that i can afford on my own as i am also on Disability assistance. So i am kind of in a lose-lose situation, not win-win, if you get me...
if i dont live there, i will more than likely lose my job.

I am sorry for the delay but you opted me out and I could not answer.

So is it a requirement of the job that you live on the premises?

Well yes and no. my rent is greatly reduced living there, but there really isnt anywhere else i can afford seeing that i am on disability assistance.... And if i dont live there, i will more than likely lose my job... I guess it kind of is a requirement that i live there, yes...

So you are in a terrible situation because if you fight the landlord then you will also lose your job it seems.

So perhaps the best approach is to first just ask for them to remove the mold without making any threats.

If they don't then call Public Health and make a report. You can ask that they not reveal it is coming from you and they can check many of the units and not just yours as I am sure yours is not the only one with mold.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer