I signed a lease a year ago, and don't want to extended. I…

Customer Question
Hi I signed a...

Hi I signed a lease a year ago, and don't want to extended. I notified him a month ago, he said in ontario i have to notify him 60 days prior but in the contract that I signed nothing has been mentioned regarding the 60 days thing. and the contract that I signed states that at the end of the contract I will have to surrender the propety is good shape. so am I leggaly bound to pay him extending to the month I did not signed the contract ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What's the contract for? Who are the parties?

Rental contract, my landlord

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nnope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
my contract expires in august, he wants me to pay for September.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/1/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you are in a difficult situation.

Is this a residential tenancy or a commercial tenancy?

Do you want a call? If so you have to click on the button.

Residential!

In Ontario the Residential Tenancies Act does require that you provide your landlord with 60 days clear notice if you are moving out and terminating your tenancy agreement.

So he is right.

The lease ends but your tenancy automatically turns into a month-to-month tenancy and so the 60 days does apply.

I am sorry that you did not know this and sorry this has happened to you.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating even though I had to provide you with an answer you were not hoping for but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thank you for getting back to me!

You are welcome. Did you see the full answer and understand it?

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?