Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My landlord refused to do repairs and brought in a

Customer Question

my landlord refused to do repairs and brought in a contractor that said the house is unsafe to live in . Do I still need to pay rent until I move
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no although he claims to be applying for a permit to tear down
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I moved in here 3 years ago and was not told that he wasnt going to keep up repairs
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Yes you do have to pay rent or you can be evicted in 10 days.

But you can apply to the Landlord Tenant Board for a rent abatement and they may give you an order that requires the landlord to pay you so you will get a refund of some of the rent and that can go back a while if you made requests for repairs in writing.

I suggest you call the Landlord Tenant Board today and discuss this with a staff member and decide how best to proceed after they review the process with you over the phone.

Here is a link to their contact information:

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/contact/

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?