How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I put a lean on a home because theperson who owns the

Customer Question

How do I put a lean on a home because theperson who owns the house never finish working in my home he was a contractor
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Canada Nova Scotia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I.m about to go to small claims court to do all of that
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He was suppose to finish my basement and walked off the job 1/2 way through I gave him 20000.00 to do it because that is what he said it would cost.
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: Short and direct
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

How much do you believe he owes you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Around 10000.00 the big work likedoing a bathroom was never done and he never finish painting or putting the stairs in on the top of the landing just so much was not done
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

You cannot yet register a lien on title.

When you have to do first is sue and get a judgment.

So your first step is to send a demand letter, setting out the facts and threatening a lawsuit. Then, if you don't settle after that you would sue.

The case would be in Small Claims Court and you could self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can post on this site again and I can assist you further.

After you get the judgment you can seize assets, garnish wages or accounts receivable, register liens etc.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so I've already threatened to sue and now I go to small claims court and then I do leins on his property thank you for your time and expert advise.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I will be here if you need me again.

For now please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.