Under Canada law, I need to be separated for a year before…

Customer Question
Under Canada law...

Under Canada law , I need to be separated for a year before filing for a divorce but our marriage certificate was issued in Kenya which does not follow the same marriage laws as Canada, should I file a divorce from there Kenya or by living in Canada, I need to abide by Canadian laws including marriage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do both sides consent to the divorce? Are there minor children in the relationship?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She and I agreed to be separated and the consent of separation has been drafted by both us and signed

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I have not filed for a divorce yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Québec

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you are in a difficult situation.

Have you lived in Quebec for over one year?