My will was drawn up in quebec and it stated that it was to…

Customer Question
My will was drawn...

My will was drawn up in quebec and it stated that it was to be governed by the laws of the province of Quebec. I have move to, and am now a resident of BC. Is my will still valid. Id I prepare a simple codicil string that the laws of Bc wooly to the will and any reference to Quebec are to be replaced by the worshippers BC

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the assets in question? Have any documents been drafted?

Yes there are assets, RRif, Stocks,, some cash, no real estate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Same situation exists for my power of attorney

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

The laws in Quebec are different from the rest of the country. But in fact there are some unique laws relating to estates in BC as well.

It is not prudent to do a codicil. It is very important that you redo your Will but it should not take more time or cost much more at all. Wills are not expensive. Mistakes in Wills can be prohibitively expensive.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We all know that the laws in Quebec are different from the rest of Canada. Civil vs. common law. I understand that the laws in BC may be different. Am I to understand that there is a GREAT urgency to update and change to BC COMPLIANCE. My will runs to 40-50 pages and I have both a power of attorney and living will as well. The same applies to my wife. I want to keep the substantive parts of my & my wife's will as is. The only issue is , as to which provincial laws apply. That being the case , I do not want to incur significant costs.

Your will has to be probated where you are living before you die.

The bulk of the Will may be fine but I actually doubt that it all will be because the laws are so different.

There is no great urgency unless you think you are going to die soon. But if you do die without making the changes your wife may be in a complicated and possibly expensive situation. The same holds true for the POAs.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Look I was told this was a free trial. I just want to cancel. I have no problem
Paying $5.00 but not s penny more. That was what I agreed to . Please. Respect the contract. Confirm my cancellation and that my credit card won't be cancelled.

I don't have a thing to do with what you were told or what you were charged. I am a practicing lawyer. I log into the site just the way you do and I see a list of questions and choose which to answer based on my expertise.

Please discuss this issue with customer service.

I answered your question and your follow-up questions and I deserve to be paid in my view. I don't believe I should be expected to work for free. That is hardly fair or ethical. Do you understand what I mean? So think about that and then call customer service if you still believe you are correct.

Either way I wish you well and hope you consider my answers fully and thoughtfully as I am a senior lawyer and don't want you or your spouse to be harmed just because you want to save a bit of money.