Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Question - this is the 2nd time my tenant has brought bed

Customer Question

question - this is the 2nd time my tenant has brought bed bugs into the apt. the first time I paid 1400 $ for her apt. and the other two small apts. who is responsible to pay the 2nd time . I gave the place beautifully clean. no one lived there for years. she brought it in. has two children. lst time she said school had bed bugs. they go to stay at dad's , friends etc. why am I , as landlord responsible???
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: the lease was for one year beginning 1st Augusut 2014. Now after 1 year, turned into month to month.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: at*****., toronto - its between queen and king on dufferin. Parkdale area.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she did lie on her application form in that she wrote she only had a daughter. Then I saw her with her little boy. She said he lives with his dad and then the excuse was they exchanged. I do not spy and not live there. on main floor a couple doctors live there. on 2nd fl. two professionals live there.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

While you are responsible for bed bugs normally as the landlord, if you can demonstrate that the tenant is willfully or negligently introducing bed bugs into the residential complex, then you can hold them responsible for the infestation. Additionally, the tenant can be kicked out if they willfully or negligently cause undue damage to the rental unit.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am a lawyer in Canada and your question has just been moved to the Canada law list.

I am sorry to hear this.

In Ontario it is rarely the case that the tenant would be held responsible for the costs of treatment for bed bugs. There are cases where a tenant can be evicted for bed bugs. Those cases are usually either where the tenant refuses to make the required preparations for the spraying or where it can be shown that while the landlord has made repeated attempts to treat the property for bed bugs the tenant does things that make them at risk for bringing in bed bugs such as consistently buying used furniture or books even after this problem has arisen and treatments have failed to alleviate the problem.

Does that clarify the law even though it's not what you were hoping to hear?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?