As a visitor to US, is it possible to get a canadian

Customer Question
As a visitor to...

As a visitor to US, is it possible to get a canadian visitors visa

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I am a visitor with b1b2 visa. Valid visa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wish to seek asylum in Canada

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Canada Law
7/30/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

It is possible for you to get a visitor's visa for a visit to Canada.

You will have to show strong ties to back home so that it is not thought that you might decide to remain in Canada.

So you should show that you have a job, a home, ties to the community, family etc so that it is clear you will not overstay your visit.

You cannot declare refugee status at the border unless you have family living in Canada. This is because there is a treaty between the US and Canada that requires that you declare refugee status in the first country you enter.

But once you are inside of Canada you can declare refugee status.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?