How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101375
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know about TRP with regards to immigrating

Customer Question

I would like to know about TRP with regards ***** ***** to Canada with open DUI case.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are in a difficult situation.

Are you asking about applying for permanent residency status or coming for a visit?

When were you charged?

Are you saying you have not been convicted?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Debra, I was involved in DUI on 06/01/2017 and have not had first hearing so far. I would like to move to Canada with my spouse . Her visa is expiring in Jan 2018 and her company has branch in Canada and can move to different team in same company. I would like to know if I can move with her on dependent visa and can I look for a job after moving there on TRP?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, that will not work.

A TRP is for a visit only and only when there are exceptional circumstances. As well, it is rarely given out if the sentence was not completed at least 5 years ago.

You will not be considered admissible to Canada with outstanding charges and if you are convicted you won't be admissible for immigration purposes or or for living there on a visa until you obtain rehabilitation through Canada Immigration and that cannot be at least until 5 years has passed since the sentence has been completed.

So I suggest that you make it clear to your criminal lawyer how vital it is that you don't end pup with a criminal record.

I am sorry I had to give you this answer.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?