How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101417
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been a victim of defamation and slander for the past

Customer Question

I have been a victim of defamation and slander for the past 10 months. This person who started everything was found as a fake account on facebook. This is all going to see quite immature but it has caused me my business, my reputation and multiple false stories posted within newspapers and more. She had claimed I owed thousands of dollars to a couple whom she named, that I stole money from clients, that she had my signatures on documents at a hospital which I never wrote, has found the location of where my family and I live and has made others threaten my own life 2 days ago when I posted a fundraiser for the surgery I need to go for in the U.S.. I can't live like this anymore from the constant harassment! I just don't know where to start...
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, no. I've been dealing with a severe disease that has left me in and out of the hospital for months.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are a lot of fine details, but I do have proof and documents showing i'm innocent and showing this other person is a fraud.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Do you know who this person is?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She caused another scam towards a City's Chamber of Commerce, and the names and scam is exactly the same as what they tried to do to me. She goes under a fake name, however they have found what her real name is, yes.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

What province is this please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Manitoba, sorry for the late response.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

That's fine. Don't worry.

What you should do is have a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter. The letter will demand an apology and formal retraction as well and demand compensation for the damages you have sustained.

This letter will be ignored but it is necessary to send.

Then your next step would be to sue and you would sue for an injunction so they are forced to stop, an order requiring that they take down all posts etc and the she publish a formal retraction and apology and for damages as you've sustained a lot of damage.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.