Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am helping a friend (remitter) to cover her money sent to

Customer Question

I am helping a friend (remitter) to cover her money sent to her family in the Philippines. The money transfer was made through an agency here in Ottawa for about Cdn. $1,500. The remittance was made since June 2017. The money transfered was supposed to have been received by the relative in two days. It was an emergency moneny transfer to the family of this friend. However, the money was not received by the relative in the Philippines, hence, the remitter went to confront the agency in Ottawa to find out but to no avail. The manager of the agency said to the remitter that "there's nothing that she could do, her "job was done and completed . . ." and the remitter was told that it was ". . . your responsibility to follow it up to the agency in the Philippines about the non-receipt of the money transfer?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: No. Would you allow me the privilege to discuss this issue on the phone. You can reach me at(###) ###-####and/or make an appointment with the legal consultant of the Ombudsman's of ON Office? I'd appreciate it very much. I'll make arrangement with the remitter to come with me to the Ombudsman's Office at your convenience time.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: None as yet because the remtiter has been trying to resolve the matter as at less expense as possible because she does not make much income; she works as a full-time caregiver. I believe, full responsibility the matter rest fully on the operators of the agency in Ottawa who send the money to the Philippines through an agency in the Philippines who operates the same kind of business on behalf of clients in Ottawa. Please help me help my friend recover the money which she desperately needed!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My full name is***** a retired public servant. Thank you very much.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

So are you saying that the agency said they sent the money as they were supposed to do and they don't know what happened?

Is this a wire transfer?

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!