I just have a question for you. In 1999 we loaned a guy in

Customer Question
Hi. My name is *****...

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I just have a question for you. In 1999 we loaned a guy in Edmonton $55,000.00 to start up his business in wind generators. The contract read that there was going to be a 12% interest on that loan and it would only be for 6 months. Well after 6 months we didn't need that money right then so we loaned it to him for another 6 months. How stupid were we! We had antique cars which we sold and that is where we got the money from. The last time I got any payment from the guy was June 4th 2016. I just keep bugging him and he used to put money in our account once a month and I have gotten maybe $12,000.00 out of him but then he got the bright idea to make up another contract so he didn't have to pay the interest which he made up himself that he would pay $70,000.00. Now the total that he owes us is $58,200.00 He admitted that he made it up and not a lawyer. I talked with my lawyer here in Kelowna and he said I should try for a lawyer in Edmonton as that is where he lives because he said it would cost way too much from here. Sorry to write you a book but need some advice. My husband just passed away on Jan. 23rd after I looked after him here at home for 3 or more years. I don't know if you have a certain way that you can look up people to see what then are doing or not. I am also on low income and I told him I was going to contact a lawyer in Edmonton if he didn't smarten up and get our money in the bank. He has never changed his e-mail address or phone # in all those years so I bug him every day and all I am getting lately are promises. I don't have an address for him and don't know what he is into now. So I didn't know what else to do. I thought that if I could get help the only way I would be able to pay someone is to do it on commission or %. I am just overwhelmed with this for all these years so hope you can give me some advice. Thank you so much, Elsie R******n. JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car? Customer: I am in Kelowna, British Columbia. We don't have the car any more as we sold it and it is the money that he has of ours. JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: No I have just been bugging him and phoning him , when he answers his phone and e-mails. JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I don't know , I just need some advice. Will this cost me anything now?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for your loss.

Before I go ahead I want to make sure you understand that this is not a free site because I don't want you hurt any further.

Did you get the information about the costs straightened out?

The price is more so maybe I could call you as I have so many free minutes on my phone. Elsie

But there is an additional cost on top of the question price so you will pay the $5 deposit, then the question price (I am not sure what that is) and then another $79.

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor