How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101403
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had two OWI`s in the state of WI. The first one was

Customer Question

I have had two OWI`s in the state of WI. The first one was around 1999 and the second one was around 2005. I am suppose to go on a fishing trip in September and need to know what I need to do so I don't get turned away at the border
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The cases were filed and closed at those dates. All fines, penalties, an requirements were completed at that time. I have had nothing else on my record since then
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work in Afghanistan for the US Embassy so either I can call or we can contact via email
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Are you asking about entering Canada for the fishing trip?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in early September for 10 days
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I work at the US Embassy in Afghanistan do messing is prefuref
Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Because of your criminal record at first you were considered to be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of criminality.

But, after 5 years has passed since your sentence as been completed it is sometimes possible to be deemed to have been rehabilitated when you reach the border. However, there's no guarantee as it's up to the discretion of the immigration office.

If you don't want to take a chance at the border the most prudent thing to do is to apply for individual rehabilitation. If this application is successful you will no longer have to be concerned about being turned away at the border.

But, it takes over a year to get this processed.

So, if you want to come up before then it's sometimes possible to get what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is sometimes granted in cases like yours.

Here is a link to the information about the TRP application:

Here is the link to the webpage that explains how rehabilitation works:

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?